Jacob J. Schlesinger
Mr. Schlesinger represents some of the nation’s largest providers of clean energy before utility regulators across the U.S. He advocates for solar, energy storage, and other clean technology companies through regulatory litigation, rulemaking and informal negotiation. Mr. Schlesinger’s practice focuses on grid modernization, utility rate design and promoting policies that expand markets for clean energy by fostering competition.
Prior to joining Keyes & Fox, Mr. Schlesinger worked at the Colorado Attorney General’s Office representing the interest of residential, small commercial and agricultural consumers of gas and electric utility products. He has also represented independent power producers before both state and federal regulatory bodies.
His experience, which includes dozens of first chair appearances in Colorado, Minnesota, Kansas and Nevada, makes Mr. Schlesinger a seasoned regulatory litigator with a deep understanding of electric utility regulation, law and policy. Mr. Schlesinger works out of the firm’s Denver, CO office.
- Successfully argued for expanded investment in large-scale solar in Colorado
- Significant case work relating to Smart Grid investments
- Saved Colorado energy consumers over $80 million through successful rate case litigation
- Helped to craft Colorado’s Community Solar Garden and RES compliance rules
- Advocated at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on behalf of Colorado IPP interests for increased opportunities to compete with utilities to build large transmission projects
- Successfully litigated several proceedings that resulted in consumers receiving large sums from margins earned on utility sales of renewable energy credits (RECs)
Professional Honors and Activities
- SuperLawyers.com named Mr. Schlesinger a Rising Star in 2016 and 2017.
- Attorney General’s Award for Exceptional Performance for work related to smart grid
- AMJUR Awards in law school for highest grade in Administrative and Criminal Law
- Active volunteer for the Oberlin College Alumni Recruiting Network
- Oberlin College, B.A. 2002; Major in Geology
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, JD, 2009
- Order of St. Ives (top 6% of the class)
- Water Law Review, Staff Editor
- Environmental Law Clinic, Student Attorney