Joseph F. Wiedman
Mr. Wiedman represents clients before regulatory commissions across the United States with a particular focus on expanding renewable energy markets through establishment of state programs and policies that facilitate the growth of renewable energy. Mr. Wiedman has worked on a broad range of matters including establishment and implementation of the California Solar Initiative – the largest retail renewable energy program in the United States, energy efficiency, greenhouse gas emissions regulation, community solar programs, net metering and interconnection standards, cost benefit methodologies for renewable energy, and general rate cases. Mr. Wiedman also regularly advises the firm’s clients on legislative policy and strategy related to development of renewable energy programs and policies. Mr. Wiedman is a frequent speaker at conferences across the United States on these topics.
As a Partner at Keyes, Fox & Wiedman LLP, Mr. Wiedman has extensive experience leading the firm’s members in addressing clients’ needs in a cost-effective and efficient fashion. Mr. Wiedman is also adept at leading coalitions of stakeholders to achieve programmatic, legislative and strategic goals of the firm’s clients in the regulatory and legislative arenas.
During and prior to law school, Mr. Wiedman worked in academia, government, and private business related to regulation of the energy and telecommunications industries in various capacities including providing legislative and regulatory strategy services.
- On behalf of a leading US-based renewable energy-focused nonprofit, Mr. Wiedman developed a leading national model for community renewables development. As part of this process, Mr. Wiedman surveyed current efforts across the United States in this emerging area to craft a model grounded in best practices.
- On behalf of a leading US-based renewable energy-focused nonprofit, Mr. Wiedman assists in the development of programs and policies critical to the successful development of renewable energy in the United States including working on such policies as net metering and interconnection standards, third-party ownership of renewable energy resources, and the intersection of electric vehicles and PV policies.
- On behalf of a leading renewable energy advocacy organization, Mr. Wiedman guides their legislative efforts on development of community solar policies including the drafting of legislation necessary to achieve their goals on a state-by-state basis.
- On behalf of one of the leading renewable energy advocacy organizations, Mr. Wiedman assisted in establishing the California Solar Initiative – the largest and most successful retail distributed generation program in the United States. As part of those efforts, Mr. Wiedman actively represented the organization before the California Public Utilities Commission to ensure the organization’s views and concerns were taken into account as part of the stakeholder process.
- On behalf of one of the leading Internet search technology companies in the United States, Mr. Wiedman guided and shaped the company’s smart grid strategy in response to the company’s information technology goals.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Member, The Conference of California Public Utility Counsel
- Member, Energy Bar Association
Mr. Wiedman speaks nationally on topics of interest to the solar community related to building sustainable markets for renewable energy, including most recently:
- “Community-Shared Solar: Unleashing Solar in Oregon,” Future Energy Conference, Portland, OR, April 2012
- “Driving Down BOS costs: the Role of Policy,” TVA Solar Solutions Conference, Memphis, TN, April 2012
- “Financing Solar Energy: PPAs, Community Solar & the Morris Model,” TVA Solar Solutions Conference, Memphis, TN, April 2012
- “Best Practices in Assessing the Rate Impacts of Net Energy Metering,” SDG&E Stakeholder Meeting, San Diego, CA, April 2012
- “Community Solar: Removing Barriers to Market Expansion,” Solar Power International, Dallas, TX, Oct. 2011
- Panelist, How Do We Own and Pay for It? Panel, Solar Workshop: Solar as Sustainability Approach in the Metropolitan Washington Region, Washington, DC, October 2011
- “Strengthening Wisconsin’s Green Energy Economy: Net Metering and Interconnection,” Webinar hosted by Milwaukee Shines, August 2011
- “Community Solar: A Look at Programs and Issues One Year In,” 40th ASES National Solar Conference, Raleigh, NC, May 2011
- “Community Renewables: Overview of State Programs,” PV America Conference, Philadelphia, PA, April 2011
- “Foundational Policies for Unleashing Clean Energy Investment in Your State” and “Financing Solar Energy – PPAs & the Morris Model,” 2011 Sierra Club State Colloquium, Sonoma, CA, Dec. 2011.
- A Generalized Approach to Assessing the Rate Impacts of Net Energy Metering, Solar America Board for Codes and Standards report, with Jason Keyes, January 2012. www.solarabcs.org/rateimpact
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 2004
- M.A., Illinois State University in Applied Economics with an emphasis in the economics of Electricity, Natural Gas, and Telecommunications (Graduate Student Excellence Award), 2000
- Dual B.A. from the University of Illinois-Urbana in Economics (Distinction and Honors) and Russian and Eastern European Studies (Honors), 1997